Need to write a letter? Or build a list? Or write some testimony? Here’s a pile of documents people have written as letters or testimony about sand mining.
Feel free to steal anything you find. Please take these ideas and bring them up at public meetings. Take pieces and put them in letters to Board members. Send them to your town and city representatives. Hand them to local Chamber of Commerce members. Talk about them over coffee.
Most are saved in a few different formats – hopefully one of them will work for you. Click on the name of the topic to see that document.
- Transparency by Mikey O’Connor
- Decision-making Process by Mikey O’Connor
- Documentation to support appropriate due-diligence (studies that mine applicants ought to provide) by Mikey O’Connor
- Legal liability issues (the “I’m not a lawyer, and don’t play one on TV” memo) by Mikey O’Connor
- Letter on the Moratorium issue to the Zoning Committee – by Marcie O’Connor
- Why we need a moratorium – a one-page handout – by Mikey O’Connor
- Buffalo County Zoning Committee Meeting – Feb. 23, 2012 6:30 pmAdvance Written Comments by Katherine Wood Goodman
Letter to Zoning Committee – by Sharon Kamrowski
Mine project testimony
- “Issues list” – a general list, for all mines located in the Gilmanton basin – by Mikey O’Connor
- “Issues list” – a list that is specific to the Highway 88 haul route – by Mikey O’Connor
- Preliminary review by traffic engineer shows Highway 88 to be dangerous
- Conditions placed on the Segerstrom and Barth mines. Click HERE for the PDF version.
- The Board of Adjustment language on the seven factors they considered in approving the Conditional Use Permits for the Segerstrom and Barth mines. Click HERE for the PDF version.
- Katherine Wood Goodman has begun a project to compare to Conditional Use Permit applications for frac sand mines in Buffalo County. These documents will be updated as things change. Click HEREto see her project.Buffalo County Board of Adjustment Meeting – March 8, 2012 8 am to 3 pmTestimony on R&J Rolling Acres Mine - by Sharon & Les Kamrowski
R&J Rolling Acres Mine Testimony - by Suzanne Schultz
R&J Rolling Acres Mine Testimony – by Ron Schultz
R&J Rolling Acres Mine Testimony – by Gary LeMasters
R&J Rolling Acres Mine – 2nd round – by Mikey O’Connor
Advance Written Comments by Katherine Wood Goodman
R&J Rolling Acres Mine on Hwy 88 – by Marcie O’Connor
Advance Written Comments by Craig Brooks
Letters to the community
- “Wake up call” letter to property owners on Highways 88, 37 and 35 — click HERE for the Word and HERE for the PDF versions
- The “look at all those trucks!” map in the wake up call letter — click HERE for the PowerPoint version and HERE for the PDF version
- More maps showing the conflict in land use issues between “coulee country” and “sand country”
- Traffic issues on Highway 88 by Dave & May Nelson
- Dangerous Intersections on Hwy 88 by Dave Nelson
- Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WDOT) summary of the Traffic Safety Impact Analysis report on Hwy 88. This is the summary that was presented by a WDOT representative at the Rolling Acres public hearing on June 14, 2012. Click HERE to view and download the document.
- Names and addresses of all property owners on Highways 88, 37 and 35 — contact me directly if you’d like these lists. No way I’m publishing those to the Internet.